Saturday, December 3, 2011

Theology of Distraction

Someone recently sent me a quote by Henri Nouwen from an Advent devotional that said this: "I have always been complaining that my work was constantly interrupted until I slowly discovered that my interruptions were my work."  This quote doesn't necessarily originate with Nouwen, but a professor of his from Notre Dame.  However, it's an important quote that can help us to live and notice God working in everyday life.

I think that the meaning behind this quote for the professor was something to the effect of this: "I thought my work was research and preparing to teach, but I am interrupted by family, students, and others, and I discovered my true work (living for God) was all about these interruptions, and not necessarily with what I thought my work was."  This is a profound point in our busy schedules between work, family, chores, and daily necessities.  The interruptions we think distract us from what is important may actually be the most important work for God that we do that day.

I am not saying we should be unfocused while we are at work, or when we need to get something done.  I am of the opinion that focus is necessary when trying to work.  However, we also must be fully focused when people enter our lives...whether family, students, friends, brothers and sisters in Christ, or strangers in the grocery store.  They may be the people we need to share God's love with in that moment...love that we can't share when we are working, staring at a computer or TV, or speed walking through the local store. 

So let's be aware of those "distractions" which interrupt our work, for they may be the work God has for us after all. 

"Lord, help me to be attentive to your will, your words, and those you send to interrupt life."

No comments:

Post a Comment