Monday, December 16, 2013

On Bended Knee

This weekend I went to the movies to see the Hobbit part 2: The Desolation of Smaug with my wonderful girlfriend.  I generally don't make it to the movies very often anymore.  I get bored very quickly, I find most plot lines boring and see-through, and feel antsy to stand up or curl up and pull out my Kindle to read something interesting during most movies.  The Hobbit, while long, was quite satisfying however.

Anyway, during the initial trailers for different movies, the screen flashed to an epic ancient Greek war scene, and I immediately became excited - this was the new   300 movie, 300: Rise of an Empire.  While noting my excitement over a war movie and asking the question, "Why is a pacifist getting excited about this?" I noted a distinct and very Americanized phrase tearing from the lips of one of the soldiers in the movie:  "Better we show them, we chose to die on our feet than live on our knees."  The movie trailer than portrays war as a way to keep freedom, do justice, and have vengeance all in one breathe.


I thought to myself immediately, "Therein lies the problems for Christians that many of us do not see, especially U.S. Christians. For Christians, we already live on a bended knee to THE LORD, Jesus Christ.  The issue then is not fighting to keep our freedom or stay out of servitude - we are already in servitude to Jesus and find our freedom in this service as well.  The real issue is that we refuse to kill to protect us from going into another's service.   We can neither be in another's service because we are already submitted to Jesus, nor should we balk at serving others - that is what we should be doing already. " We would die to stay in the service of Jesus, but can never bend the knee to another authority because we already live on bended knee to Jesus; at the same time, we are already serving others, just as Christ did.  

Simply something to think about as we continue to walk our on journey with Christ.  

Image taken from:

No comments:

Post a Comment