Thursday, December 26, 2013

Struggling with Scripture: 1 John 2:15-17

A reflection on Scripture through a letter and a prayer.  

Dear Lord Jesus,

I do not want to love the world or the things in the world, for I know your love is not in those who love the world.  Yet, I can't help but love your people and this beautiful creation that you have made as a reflection of your imagination and glorious splendor.  I enjoy your food, the pleasures you have given us, and the pleasures that we have made with the tools of intelligence and invention that you have furnished. 

Perhaps though we move to quickly to what is thought of as the "world."  That which is the "world" as seen by John is those things that the flesh desires, the desires of the eyes, and the pride in riches.  I am humbled beyond reckoning at this use of "worldly."  I have to ask myself, am I proud of the things I buy?  Am I greedy?  At first I compare myself to the society around me and I say, "Well, I'm not that bad."  Yet, my "to buy list" always seems to have something on it, always leaves me with one more thing that is a "necessity." 

I think I am proud of these things, or why would I buy them?  Not only this, but I am a glutton who eats far more than necessary - I look with my eyes and the desire of the flesh and consume until there is nothing left.  I use "my time" poorly, for most of my time is focused on things that have no value at all - things that will perish just as readily as stuff that I regularly throw away.

Lord, I find myself caught in an endless cycle.  May your grace consume me and make me new, may your love drive me to change, may your love be focused on doing your will.  Teach me as you would a child, be patient with my unhearing ears, my greedy eyes, and my unmoving feet.  Lord, craft me and mold me into your reflection, that I may look like Jesus. 


Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment