Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reflection: On Power, Position, and Politics - Suspended

As we have been working through ideas of power, position, and politics, I have been wading through muddy waters that are both confusing and overly complex to me.  Somehow, while writing previous reflections, this idea has become twisted and convoluted in my mind.  As I wrestle with an un-posted reflection on what it meant to use power as a supervisor in a secular job, I realized that we can't necessarily parse apart how we use power and our desire to manipulate or control certain circumstances.

While we are always inviting a response like Jesus, while we seek to use power to empower others, while we use the power that we have to serve others, we can easily make a case that we are still seeking to control or manipulate circumstances for our own ends, to get a certain response, or lead people in a certain direction.


I think we carefully need to observe how we use power in our positions of authority so we do not become people who actively seek to manipulate, dominate, or oppress those under our power.  However, this becomes complicated in many instances of daily life.  I find myself moving into a time of development and reflection regarding further implications of this idea. We'll move on in the coming weeks to various posts, leaving this power idea behind for a season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment