Monday, March 24, 2014

Cooking with Christ: Lessons from Chili - Part 1


I confess, it's true: I don't know how to use a can-opener.  In fact, I have broken two can openers in two weeks.  At first, I thought it was because the can-opener was the cheap $1 version.  Let me paint the picture for us: I was in a rush one morning, trying to open all the cans of food I would need (kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce) for the batch of chili I was dropping in the Crock Pot.  The little hand-held can-opener was having a difficult time grabbing the edges of the can, and my anger flared.  I placed the can-opener on the can again, turned the knob harder...and snapped the piece of the can-opener which held the two sides (the twisting knob and the opener part) breaking the contraption.



I placed all the blame on the cheap can-opener.  "Stupid, dumb can-opener!  You are supposed to break the can open, not be broken by the can!" I muttered vigorously to myself in increasing passion.   "I'll fix you!  I'll buy the professional grade can-opener!  That certainly won't break!"   

Yesterday it happened again.  I wasn't even angry this time. I was thinking to myself, "Note to self: give 3x as long prep time when it says you need to open cans," and then I heard the disheartening "pop!"  The knob popped off the professional grade can-opener.  "Dear Lord," I muttered to myself, "why is this simple thing so difficult?  It's just a freaking can-opener and chili!" 

I sort of felt Jesus smile back at me, then the thought came to me: "Even the simplest things take time to learn and understand.  Most don't get it correct right away.  The key is, are you willing to learn?"  While my mind immediately jumped to Google searching how to use a can-opener, the deeper truth arrived.  I am in a similar position with the Gospel, with a life lived for and with God.  It should be so simple right?  Love God, Love others, neighbors and enemies alike.  And allow God and others to love in return. 

Christianity sometimes feels like a can-opener: so simple, yet when used the wrong way it breaks very quickly, and we miss out on the delicious goodness we are working towards.  We often place the blame on the can-opener because it's so simple...how could we (I) be getting it wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment