Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Struggling with Scripture: Proverbs 21:2-4 (NRSV)

Proverbs 21:2-4 is an extraordinary passage that in its first statement seems ripped from conversations about people's "perspective differences" today, but then rounded out with a summary of what God thinks.  Verse two begins like this: "All deeds are right in the sight of the doer."  Isn't this a funny statement for today?

Jesus makes this point as well in Matthew 6:1 and following.  Seen in the best light, the "hypocrites" would not even realize that what they are doing by making a scene over their giving, or about their praying, or about their fasting was wrong.  In fact, they were probably instructed to do these things by saying, "and to lead by example" or "to be a good example" do x, y, z publicly like so...

Yet, the second half of Proverbs 21:2 says, "but the Lord weighs the heart." What is the intent behind the action?  In Matthew 6:1 and following, the intent to be wary of is to "be seen by others."  I wonder, what is the intent behind our actions?  Do we do good things to be seen or because that is simply who we are?

Proverbs then defines for us what is good and what is not in verses three and four. Verse three states, "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice. "  Verse three is actually pretty wild.  It is saying to do the right things, to commit to justice (meaning giving to the poor, protecting the weak, freeing the slaves - it's not just a onetime gift but a whole different economy and lifestyle) is more important than one of the most central pieces to the ancient Israelite religion: sacrifice.  Sacrifice would have been the outward display of getting right with and showing loyalty to God - yet Proverbs says, "actually...doing the heart of the law is way more important that the outward observance of religion."

I struggle with this because it is so much harder than going to church, giving the offering, doing daily prayers and devotions.  It requires a personality that puts oneself out there to know the poor and oppressed, who is willing to give up their time and life to serve, who is willing to move into place and be with people who we normally would not associate with.  I find this...difficult (especially being an introvert!).

Verse four is just has stinging: "Haughty eyes and a proud heart - the lamp of the wicked - are sin." I wonder how many times I have looked down at people instantly just from seeing them: "O at least I am not as fat as them, at least I don't buy those clothes, that guy cares too much about appearance, that person needs a shower, that person..." As I judge, I lift myself up and make myself better than others, in fact, my own position becomes one of eminence as I distribute judgments on how to make others better from the throne of my mighty buttocks.


The fact is...I am not any better.  In all probability, I am far worse. That is why it is so good to let God judge - Jesus weighs the heart.  Righteousness takes courage, intentionality, effort.  Wickedness?  It simply requires an eye and a heart that passes out judgments like candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment