Monday, January 6, 2014

Struggling with Scripture: Luke 7:46

"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I tell you?"  This question haunts me pretty much every day of my life.  I feel like a Pharisee, begging to have the question answered: "How do I do what you want me to do?  Give me specifics, give me examples, tell me, show me, teach me.  Create in me a clean heart O God, and make it steadfast within me!"  I then turn back to Scripture, and read about characteristics we are to clothe ourselves with (Col 3:12-17).  I look back to Jesus to see how these practically play out and I see Jesus healing the sick and feeding the hungry.  I look around me and think, "where are the hungry?" thinking that I can help in this way...but don't even do that well.

In our society we have everything systematized for efficiency: doctor's take care of the sick; food pantries feed the hungry and clothe the naked; I donate what I can when I can, but it doesn't feel the same, it doesn't feel like enough.

Part of the issue may be that I always think in terms of the grand, of the adventure.  I find myself wishing to change people's lives, to take part in some epic tale that looks and feels like something special.  And instead there is little thanks for what is given, little change in the people served, little adventure (actually most times it is not intellectually stimulating - at all), it is very simply ordinary.

I have thought for a while and continue to think that the "glorification" element within my desire to follow Jesus must be removed in its entirety.  Doing what the Lord Jesus asks us to do is a very ordinary process that starts each and every morning; it plays out in the ordinariness of everyday life; it looks like helping our neighbor, praying for our enemies, working hard, being generous, loving each and every person we pass and talk too.  Ultimately, following God is expressed in the courage to love people in the ordinary, small acts of everyday life - not the courage to go on a huge adventure that ends in throwing a ring into Mt. Doom (Lord of the Rings reference!). 


"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I tell you?"  There is no excuse Lord - I simply wanted a big calling, an adventure, and didn't see that it was today you wanted me to do some small deed that would have helped another.  I looked for the big act of service, assisting another in a huge way, and ended up missing a lifetime of small deeds and loving service I could have done today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment