Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cleaning Theology: Prayer and Everyday Life


Like most people, I have a toilet...and a shower...and a bathroom sink...and a bathroom floor.  It is a necessity, being an adult, to clean this bathroom several times a month.  And it is drudgery...there are a million and one things I would rather do than clean the toilet, scrape down the tub, wash the floor and walls, and pour Draino down the sink.  It is not that the task is difficult, or that the bathroom becomes so messy in a week that it's gross to clean- it's simply that I don't want to do it.   However, having a task that must be accomplished, I roll up my sleeves, whip out the sponge and cleaning solution, spray down the bathroom, take a big gulp of air from outside the door, and wade in to do the dirty work of getting the place clean. 

A funny thing occurs while I scrape down the walls and toilet, wash the floor, and make the place clean.  Focusing on such a simple task, clears my mind of the day's work, entertainment, and play.  This frees up room to think, focuses the mind on reality, and brings my attention to God.

Paying attention to God brings to mind prayer, which leads for a perfect time for saying small prayers.  Menial tasks open room for us to think and to pray, to take time for our relationship with God in a powerful way that entertainment, work, and play can deprive us of.  In God's grace and mercy, chores can provide room for the love of God to saturate our daily existence. 

I find that praying while doing these daily tasks, praying in open periods of work, reminding myself that God is whom I am following, brings grace into my life and heart in ways that keeping myself entertained never does.  Chores provide me with an opportunity to pray that I might not have taken if left to my own devices; it is these prayers, everyday, that will lead me to walk with Christ in each moment of life.

"Lord, help me to pray each day as I walk your way."

No comments:

Post a Comment