Monday, October 3, 2011

The Snowball Effect

One of my hobbies that I enjoy is working out - specifically "getting in shape" using P90X, which is a difficult home-workout program.  Today as I was struggling through the Plyometrics (jump-training) routine, I finally realized something that identified itself immediately as the "snowball effect" in my mind.  I was panting for breath about 20 minutes into the routine, watching enviously as the people on the P90X DVD began jumping in double-time (going twice as fast), and I correspondingly began jumping in one-half time (going twice as slow), the thought came to me that the reason the people on the DVD could do what they did was because they built up to where they are slowly.

As this obvious thought entered my mind, I thought about my own struggles with "getting in shape."  I thought about the slow drop in weight, the switch in eating lifestyles, the agony of initial workouts.  I also thought about the development of this lifestyle to the point where I now am. Initially, everything was difficult and progress was slow - agonizingly so.  Then, as I got more comfortable with eating healthy foods in proportion, and as I began dropping weight and struggling through more of the workout-routines, my progress actually sped up.  I lost more weight faster, became stronger quicker...and all the while working out and eating healthy became easier!  As I develop, I find that development happens at a faster pace with increasing results than during the initial period.  This is what popped into my mind as the "snowball effect" - the culminating progress that occurs as disciplined training is steadily done over time.  

In my life as a Christian, I struggle to initiate various activities which would help me know God more, walk stronger and healthier in the faith, and live for God through every moment.   I struggle to initiate the snowball: to take time out for prayer everyday for more than a week; to pray over each customer I assist in my occupation each day; to be disciplined in my reading of Scripture.  Instead, it comes inconsistently, sporadically, waxing and waning like the ocean tide.  

So, my prayer for the next few weeks will be this: "Lord, help me, teach me, to struggle through the initial development of the disciplines of praying and Scripture study in the midst of ordinary life - create in me a "snowball effect of holiness" to help me walk with you.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment